COVID-19 Resources for Families
The resources below have been compiled to assist children and families with the uncertainty surrounding the current COVID-19 pandemic. Additional resources will be added regularly. If you have suggestions for resources to include, please email our team.
- ISU Campus Child Care Centers - information about on-site child care programs
- Back-Up and Occasional Child Care - resources and tips for hiring a back-up care provider
- COVID-19 Child Care Considerations - guidance from ISU Extension and Outreach
- Iowa Child Care Resource & Referral - free, non-biased referrals to local child care programs
- Iowa Department of Human Services; Interactive Child Care Map - search map displaying child care vacancies
- Tips for Creating a 'QuaranTeam' - Michigan State University, WorkLife Office
- How to Form a Pandemic Pod - Greater Good Magazine
- Questions to Ask Child Caregivers During Coronavirus - Care.com
Informal Networking Opportunities
- Family Friday Webinar Series and Family Forum
- Iowa Pandemic Education Network - find local professional teachers and/or homeschool parents who are offering full or partial school replacement programs or tutoring.
- Komae - join and search for other families interested in exchanging child care services.
Supporting Children's Learning
- @HOME Learning - Ames Public Library
- Terrific Tuesdays - Ames Public Library
- ISUEO 4-H At Home Learning Resources - ISUO 4-H Youth Development
- Message in a Backpack articles from Teaching Young Children
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems - The Kennedy Center
- 20 Virtual Field Trips to Take With Your Kids - Adventures in Familyhood
- TIME for Kids, Free Digital Library Subscription - TIME.com
- Healthy at Home: A Toolkit for Supporting Families Impacted by COVID-19 - Ready Rosie/Creative Curriculum
- A Beautiful Day! Virtual Early Childhood Learning Space - University of Nebraska - Lincoln
- Read for Resilience: Support Young Children's Coping with Storybooks - University Nebraska - Lincoln
- Mystery Science: Open-and-go lessons that inspire kids to love science - Mystery.org
- Prodigy Math Learning Platform - Prodigy.com
- Scholastic Learn at Home: Day-by-day projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing - Scholastic.com
Talking to Children About COVID-19
- Helping your Child Through Change - National Association for the Education of Young Children
- Tips for Talking to Children About COVID-19 - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Talking to Children about COVID-19 - Bright Horizons
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Coronavirus - PBS
- Talking to Children About COVID-19: A Parent Resource - National Association of School Psychologists
- Something Strange Happening in My City: A COVID-19 Social Story for Young Children - Dr. Shu-Chen Jenny Yen, California State University, Fullterton
The Iowa Concern Hotline has been an integral part of Iowa State University and Iowa State University Extension and Outreach since 1985. Iowa Concern has trained staff available to provide 1:1 assistance to individuals and families on a number of topics, such as child care, finances, stress, and assistance programs. All calls, chats, and emails are free and confidential. Phone support is available 24/7 by calling (800) 447-1985. Email and chat support is available on the website.
COVID Recovery Iowa
COVID Recovery Iowa provides counseling, virtual activities, referrals, and help finding resources to any Iowan seeking assistance or a listening ear. Iowans of all ages may join groups online to find support and learn creative strategies for coping with the effects of the pandemic. Counselors are available 24/7 by calling (844) 775-WARM or visiting the website.